Disaster proofing your finances
So you have thoroughly filed all your important documents. How can you guard them from being damaged or destroyed if an accidents occurs?
Secure Sentinel by Veda Advantage is designed to cover the needs addressed in this article.
Follow these tips to help you disaster proof your crucial documents and financial records.
- Safeguard crucial documents
- Save an electronic copy
- Keep a backup in the cloud
- Use plastic or other electronic methods for purchases
- Update your records in a timely fashion
Secure important documents
Place vital records in a fireproof, waterproof safe at home or in a safety deposit box with your bank or similar service.
Then, if your home is to a fire or flood, those items will be secure.
Here are some samples of documents you will want kept safe:
- Birth credentials
- Marriage credentials
- Wills and powers of attorney
- Property deeds
- Life insurance policies
- Home, car, contents and other insurance policies
- Health insurance policies
- Medical files, Medicare cards
- Bank account information
- Photocopies of driver’s licences, bank and credit cards
- Superannuation documents
- Investment official papers
- Funeral investments or arrangements
- Valuable items like jewellery, keepsakes or paintings
- A listed home inventory, or photographs, which can assist you in filing a claim if disaster strikes)
- Receipts or other proof of expensive items in your home
Case study: Alice and Bob lose their home in a flood
Alice and Bob’s home was devastated in a fires a year ago. They at a co-worker’s house when the fires hit and the majority of their belongings were damaged or demolished.
Despite not living in a fire-prone area, Alice and Bob had purchased a fire proof safe to safeguard their important papers. Having their papers secure made it simpler to interact with their insurers to immediately commence recreating their home. They had also protected a copy of their photo collection on a portable device that they kept in the safe.
Keep an electronic copy offsite
Instead of purchasing a safe or hiring a safety deposit box, it is possible to save all your important documents on an external hard drive. Data saved on your personal device, or electronic copies of important documents are recommended to be included. Find somewhere safe and protected and away from your house, for instance read more>>